Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Chris d'Eon - Wa Al-'Atr (2009) (Cass.)


Well, I've been M.I.A. for quite some time now, and I do apologize. I'm hoping this new boost of enthusiasm will help me save this blog as I really enjoy doing it, and sharing with everyone. I also love getting yr feedback and comments so please feel free to drop a line whenever.

For my first post back I figured I'd get started on a project I've been wanting to do for quite a while now and have never gotten off the ground. Now technically this post doesnt even count at this point, but we'll pretend. The idea is basically to highlight all the amazing music that's coming out of Halifax right now, and there is a LOT. Meet Chris d'Eon, formerly of Halifax so it counts. I don't know where to begin with this limited tape release on Numbers Station, out of Montreal. This being their first release I think they made a wise choice. It's been a long time since I put on a record, and specifically a record made by a friend of mine, and was absolutely blown away. From the first note to the last this is just full of good feelings. Though far apart musically I'd compare it to the likes of Jim O'Rourke's Eureka, or the song Ice Castles off Ween's White Pepper, in that it has this immense warmth to it that brings you in and makes you feel absolutely comfortable and serene. I particularly enjoy the keys that frequently show up between the more structured songs. Glistening little bursts of fuzzy dreamland clatter. It's absolutely beautiful. I suppose overall it does have a particular sound, that might be intriguing to some and not to others, but I definitely can't pinpoint what it is, so I say just get it and let it take you where it will. I'll be continuing this Halifax thing over the next couple of weeks with some more posts for Omon Ra, Pig, Czar of Neo, The Ether, (hopefully) ECT, and we'll see what else I can come up with. In the meantime, get this tape and blissfully enjoy.

TRACK LIST: Side 1: 1/Untitled/ 2/Prophet Abraham/ 3/Untitled/ 4/Tear Down The Wall/ 5/Untitled/ 6/Untitled/ 7/Street Kids/ 8/Untitled/ 9/Untitled // Side 2: 10/Fana'/ 11/Untitled/ 12/Waiting Room/ 13/Surfin' w/ The Shah/ 14/Spring/ 15/Haydar/ 16/Kangra Valley

No comments: